Sunday, January 29, 2012

It's GREEN and they are eating it!

Pin It




Do your kids eat their green veggies? Mine don't. Miss A will try one bite of everything on her plate which is the house rule, but that's about it. With miss G we are lucky if she will bring a green veggie near her mouth let alone actually eat a bite. Miss G may pick up the green vegetable, eye is suspiciously, smell it, and I even recall her once licking a piece of broccoli, but she won't take a bite (except for artichokes - those she scarfs down). So, you can understand when my coworker was telling be about how yummy kale chips were I was intrigued, but a bit skeptical. I figured there was no way my kids would eat baked green leafy vegetables even if they were crispy and called chips. But a couple weeks later my husband had some left over kale from a dish he was making, so we tried it.

It's a super simple recipe. First rip the kale into bite sized pieces - the girls were a big help with this.

Then wash the kale and dry thoroughly - we used a salad spinner. For the kale to get crisp in the oven it needs to be completely dry)

Spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet then lightly spray with olive oil (you could also shake the kale with oil in a large Ziploc if you don't have a mister) sprinkle with salt and any other flavorings you like - garlic salt and onion salt is what my kids liked.

Then bake at 350 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes - watch them really closely at the end and take them out when they crisp but before they start to turn brown.

I used our chips as a side dish for pasta and was amazed as both kids ate their vegetables. Miss A liked them so much she wanted my kale chips. I gladly gave them - who can refuse a kid asking for veggies.

How do you get your kids to eat their veggies?



No comments:

Post a Comment